Joydeep Sen Sarma wrote:

a few of our nodes had (for inexplicable reasons) bound to
localhost.localdomain for a while.
definitely for map-reduce - this cases problems (not sure about hdfs). jobs
were failing saying
they could not find 'localhost.localdomain' (i think this was in the reduce
copy phase trying to
contact map outputs). i am not terribly sure of the details - but there are
issues with this ..

I have a situation now, like I've seen before, where my config. is exactly like
it was yesterday
but something about my network set-up is different and I can't get the pseudo distributed copy to come up at all on the box. It looks like the name node is out there but the URL tries
going to the dfshealth.jsp page and that fails with a 404 error.

Very frustrating, as I'm something spending hours trying to get a local test
set up to install
the same way it did the day before.

--
Steve Sapovits