From: Doug Cutting [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, March 04, 2008 12:53 PM
To: core-user@hadoop.apache.org
Subject: Re: What's the best way to get to a single key?

Xavier Stevens wrote:
> Is there a way to do this when your input data is using SequenceFile
> compression?

Yes.  A MapFile is simply a directory containing two SequenceFiles named
"data" and "index".  MapFileOutputFormat uses the same compression
parameters as SequenceFileOutputFormat.  SequenceFileInputFormat
recognizes MapFiles and reads the "data" file.  So you should be able to
just switch from specifying SequenceFileOutputFormat to
MapFileOutputFormat in your jobs and everything should work the same
except you'll have index files that permit random access.

Doug