I have left some comments behind on the jira.

We could argue over what's the right thing to do (and we will on the
Jira) - but the higher level problem is that this is another case where
backwards compatibility with existing semantics of this option was not
carried over. Neither was there any notification to admins about this
change. The change notes just do not convey the import of this change to
existing deployments (incidentally 1463 was classified as 'Bug Fix' -
not that putting under 'Incompatible Fix' would have helped imho).

Would request the board/committers to consider setting up something
along the lines of:

1. have something better than Change Notes to convey interface changes
2. a field in the JIRA that marks it out as important from interface
change point of view (with notes on what's changing). This could be used
to auto-populate #1
3. Some way of auto-subscribing to bugs that are causing interface
changes (even an email filter on the jira mails would do).

As Hadoop user base keeps growing - and gets used for 'production' tasks
- I think it's absolutely essential that users/admins can keep in tune
with changes that affect their deployments. Otherwise - any organization
other than Yahoo would have tough time upgrading.

(I am new to open-source - but surely this has been solved before?)

Joydeep