you can't do this with the contrib/ec2 scripts/ami.

but passing the master private dns name to the slaves on boot as 'user- data' works fine. when a slave starts, it contacts the master and joins the cluster. there isn't any need for a slave to rsync from the master, thus removing the dependency on them having the private key. and not using the start|stop-all scripts, you don't need to maintain the slaves file, and can thus lazily boot your cluster.

to do this, you will need to create your own AMI that works this way. not hard, just time consuming.