From: André Martin [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Sent: Friday, March 21, 2008 3:06 PM
To: core-user@hadoop.apache.org
Subject: Re: Performance / cluster scaling question

After waiting a few hours (without having any load), the block number and "DFS Used" space seems to go down... My question is: is the hardware simply too weak/slow to send the block deletion request to the datanodes in a timely manner, or do simply those "crappy" HDDs cause the delay, since I noticed that I can take up to 40 minutes when deleting ~400.000 files at once manually using "rm -r"... Actually - my main concern is why the performance à la the throughput goes down - any ideas?