Greetings,

It really depends on your budget. What are you looking to spend? $5k?
$20k? Hadoop is about bringing the calculations to your data, so the
more machines you can have, the better.

In general, I'd recommend Dual-Core Opterons and 2-4 GB of RAM with an
SATA hard drive. My company just ordered five such machines from Dell
for Hadoop goodness, and I think the total came to around eight grand.

Another alternative is Amazon EC2 and S3, of course. It all depends on
what you want to do.