I have seen EC2 be slower than a comparable system in development, but not by the factors that you're experiencing. One thing about EC2 that has concerned me - you are not guaranteed that your "/mnt" disk is an uncontested spindle. Early on, this was the case, but Amazon made no promises.

Also, and this may be a stupid question, are you sure that you're using the same JVM in EC2 and development? GCJ is much slower than Sun's JVM.

Ted