vikas wrote:
Thank you very much for the right link. It really helped. As many others
even I'm waiting for
"Append to files in HDFS"

Is there any thing which I can do to raise its priority. Does HADOOP
Developer community is  tracking any request counter for a particular
feature to raise ones priority. if that is the case I would like to add my
vote to this :)

Apache projects celebrate community contributions more than just votes.

I've registered to mailing list .. and that gives me previlage of creating
JIRA and watching on one. can you tell me how I get into developer community
so that if time permits even I can contribute by discussion or code.

-get on the core-developer list
-watch how things work. Most discussion is on on specific bugs. Note also how hudson tests all patches, rejects anything with no tests or javac, javadoc warnings.
-check out SVN_HEAD and build it
-start patching stuff on the side, non critical things, so that people learn to trust your coding skills. The filesystem is taken very seriously, as a failure there could lose petabytes of data. -look at the test process. All changes need to fit in there. Even if you don't have 500 machines to spare, others do, so design your changes to test in that world, and to run on bigger clusters.

Note that Append is not something you are ever going to see on S3 files; it's not part of the S3 REST API. So if you assume append everywhere, your app wont be so happy on the EC2 farms.

Author: Ant in Action           http://antbook.org/