You can put your external jar in DistributedCache. and do symlink the jar in the current working directory of the task giving the value of mapred.create.symlink as true. More details can be found at http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HADOOP-1660.

The jar can also be added to classpath using the api DistrributedCache.addArchiveToClassPath().

Thanks
Amareshwari
Einar Vollset wrote:
Pretty please with sugar on top. ;-)