The MR jobs I'm performing are not CPU intensive, so I've always assumed
that they're more IO bound.  Maybe that's an exceptional situation, but I'm
not really sure.

A good motherboard with a local IO channel per disk, feeding individual
cores, with memory partitioned up between them...  and I've heard good
things about Intel's next tock vis-a-vis internal system throughput.

And yes, this would be a task for a paravirtualization system like Xen.
Again, it's just a thought, but with low end quad core proc's running about
$300, and the potential to cut the number of machines you need to physically
setup by 75%, I'm not sure I'd say it'd only be good for a proof of
concept.

Also, I just set up a dozen odd boxes that are two generations behind modern
boxes, and promptly blew a fuse.  The TDP on the Xeon 3.06Ghz chips I'm
using is 89W.  The TDP on an Intel Q6600 is 65W, and it represents 4 cores.

It's a simple experiment, but I don't have the resources on hand to run it.
I'm curious if anyone has seen the performance impact from the different
setups we're talking about.  I also think you could come close to faking it
with Hadoop config changes.

-Colin