On Jul 1, 2008, at 4:04 AM, novice user wrote:

Hi all,
   I have a query regarding the functionality of combiner.
Is it possible to ignore combiner code for some of the outputs of mapper and
directly being sent to reducer though combiner is specified in job
configuration?
Because, I figured out that, when I am running on large amounts of data, some of the mapper output is directly reached reducer. I am wondering how
can this be possible when I have specified combiner in the job
configuration. Can any one please  let me know if this thing happens?

Can you elaborate on how you reached the conclusion that the output of some maps isn't going through the combiner?

Also, what version of hadoop are you using? hadoop-0.18 onwards there aren't guarantees on the number of times a combiner is run...

Arun