by editing the hadoop-site.xml, you set the default. but I don't recommend changing the default on EC2.

but you can specify the filesystem to use through the URL that references your data (jobConf.addInputPath etc) for a particular job. in the case of the S3 block filesystem, just use a s3:// url.

ckw