I'm running hadoop version 0.17.0 on a Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4.4
box. I'm using an IBM provided JDK 1.5. I've configured Hadoop for a
localhost.

I've written a simple test to open and write to files in HDFS. I close
the output stream after I write 10 bytes to the file. After 471 files,
I see an exception from DFSClient in the log4j logs for my test:

Exception in createBlockOutputStream java.io.IOException: Too many open files
Abandoning block blk_ .....
DataStreamer Exception: java.net.SocketException: Too many open files
Error recovery for block_ .... bad datanode[0]

I'd appreciate any suggestions on how to resolve this problem.

Thanks.