I have only applied this patch as far forward as 0.16.0

Joe Williams wrote:
Sweet, thanks.

Jason Venner wrote:
Once the patch is applied you should start seeing the ganglia metrics

We do.

Joe Williams wrote:
Once I have the patch applied and have it running should I see the metrics? Or do I need to additional work?

Thanks.
-Joe

Jason Venner wrote:
I applied the patch in the jira to my distro

Joe Williams wrote:
Thanks Jason, until this is implemented are how are you pulling stats from Hadoop?

-joe

Jason Venner wrote:
Check out

Joe Williams wrote:
I have been attempting to get Hadoop metrics in Ganliga and have been unsuccessful thus far. I have see this thread (http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/hadoop-core-user/200712.mbox/raw/[EMAIL PROTECTED]/) but it didn't help much.

I have setup my properties file like so:

[EMAIL PROTECTED] current]# cat conf/hadoop-metrics.properties
dfs.class=org.apache.hadoop.metrics.ganglia.GangliaContext
dfs.period=10
dfs.servers=127.0.0.1:8649

mapred.class=org.apache.hadoop.metrics.ganglia.GangliaContext
mapred.period=10
mapred.servers=127.0.0.1:8649

And if I 'telnet 127.0.0.1 8649' I receive the Ganglia XML metrics output without any hadoop specific metrics:

[EMAIL PROTECTED] current]# telnet 127.0.0.1  8649
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to localhost (127.0.0.1).
Escape character is '^]'.
?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1" standalone="yes"?>
!DOCTYPE GANGLIA_XML [
  !ELEMENT GANGLIA_XML (GRID|CLUSTER|HOST)*>
      !ATTLIST GANGLIA_XML VERSION CDATA #REQUIRED>
      !ATTLIST GANGLIA_XML SOURCE CDATA #REQUIRED>
--SNIP--

Is there more I need to do to get the metrics to show up in this output, am I doing something incorrectly? Do I need to have a gmetric script run in a cron to update the stats? If so, does anyone have a hadoop specific example of this?

Any info would be helpful.

Thanks.
-Joe