Seeing as there is no search function on the archives, I'm relegated
to asking a possibly redundant question or four:

I have, as a sample setup:

idx1-tracker    JobTracker
idx2-namenode   NameNode
idx3-slave      DataTracker
idx20-slave     DataTracker

Q1:     Can I put the same hadoop-site.xml file on all machines or do I need
        to configure each machine separately?

Q2:     My current setup does not seem to find a primary namenode, but instead
        wants to put idx1 and idx2 as secondary namenodes; as a result, I am
        not getting anything usable on any of the web addresses (50030, 50050,
        50070, 50090).

Q3:     Possibly connected to Q1:  The current setup seems to go out and start
        on all machines (masters/slaves); when I say "bin/start-mapred.sh" on
        the JobTracker, I get the answer "jobtracker running...kill it first".

Q4:     Do I even *need* a secondary namenode?

IWBN if I did not have to maintain three separate configuration files
(jobtracker/namenode/datatracker).
--
James Graham (Greywolf)                                                       |
650.930.1138|925.768.4053                                                     *