Yes, the namenode is in charge of deciding the proximity by using
DNSToSwitchMapping. On the other hand, I am exploring the possibility
to let the client decide which data node to connect to, since
sometimes network hierarchy is so complex or dynamic that we better
leave it to the client to find out which datanode is nearest.

-Kevin