I haven't used KFS, but I believe a major difference is that you can
(apparently) mount KFS as a standard device under Linux, allowing you to
read and write directly to it without having to re-compile the
application (as far as I know that's not possible with HDFS, although
the last time I installed HDFS was 0.16)

... It is definitely much newer.