In order to do anything other than a tar transfer (which is a kludge, of
course), you'll need to open up the relevant ports between the client and
the hadoop cluster.  I may miss a few here, but I believe these would
include port 50010 for the datanodes and whatever port the namenode is
listening on.

Once you've done this, install hadoop on your client machine (but don't
start it) and use the command line tools directly from there.