I think I've found the problem. When I removed the following line:

conf.setCombinerClass(Reduce.class);

everything worked fine. During the map phase, when the combiner uses the
Reduce.class as the Reducer, the final map (key,value) pairs are attempted
to be written as the Reducer output types, which contradict with the
specified Mapper output types.  If I'm correct, am I supposed to write a
separate reducer for the local combiner in order to speed things up?

Jim