LocalJobRunner allows you to test your code with everything running in a single JVM. Just set mapred.job.tracker=local.

Doug

Ryan LeCompte wrote:
I see... so there really isn't a way for me to test a map/reduce
program using a single node without incurring the overhead of
upping/downing JVM's... My input is broken up into 5 text files.... is
there a way I could start the job such that it only uses 1 map to
process the whole thing? I guess I'd have to concatenate the files
into 1 file and somehow turn off splitting?

Ryan