Apparently you have one node with 2 processors where each processor has 4
cores. What do you want to use Hadoop for? If you have a single disk drive
and multiple cores on one node then pseudo distributed environment seems
like the best approach to me as long as you are not dealing with large
amounts of data. If you have a single disk drive and huge amount of data to
process, then the disk drive might be a bottleneck for your applications.
Hadoop is usually used for data intensive applications whereas your hardware
seems more like to be designed for cpu intensive job considering 8 cores on
a single node.

Tim