Stopping and restarting the mapred service should push the new .xml file
out, should it not?  I've done 'bin/mapred-stop.sh',
'bin/mapred-start.sh', and I can see my new values in the
file:.../mapred/system/job_SomeNumber_SomeNumber/job.xml files
associated with the jobs.  The mapred.tasktracker.map.tasks.maximum
values shown in those files are 8, but each worker node tasktracker
still uses the value 2.  What file should contain the xml for the
tasktracker itself?  Does the maximum map task number get set when the
task tracker is spawned, or can a new job reset the number?

Thanks,
-Joel