We see this on Maps and only on incrementBytesRead (not on incrementBytesWritten). It is on HDFS where we are seeing the time spent. It seems that this is because incrementBytesRead is called every time a record is read, while incrementBytesWritten is only called when a buffer is spilled. We would benefit a lot from being able to turn this off.