You can have your node (tasktracker) running more than 1 task
simultaneously.
You may set "mapred.tasktracker.map.tasks.maximum" and
"mapred.tasktracker.reduce.tasks.maximum" properties found in
hadoop-site.xml file. You should change hadoop-site.xml file on all your
slave nodes depending on how many cores each slave has. For example, you
don't really want to have 8 tasks running at once on a 2 core machine.

/Taeho