Scott Whitecross wrote:
Thanks Brian.  So you have had luck w/ log4j?

We grab logs off machines by not using lo4j and routing to our own logging infrastructure that can feed events to other boxes via RMI and queues. This stuff slots in behind commons-logging, with a custom commons-logging bridge specified on the command line. To get this into Hadoop I had to patch hadoop.jar and remove the properties file that bound it only to log4j. The central receiver/SPOF logs events by sent time and received time and can store all results into text files intermixed for post-processing. It's good for testing, but on a big production cluster you'd want something more robust and scaleable