Doug:
If we use the heap as a cache and you have a large cluster then you will have the memory on the NN to handle keeping all the namespace in memory. We are looking for a way to support smaller clusters also that might over run there heap size causing the cluster to crash. So if the NN has the room to cache all the namespace then the larger clusters will not see any disk hits once the namespace is fully loaded in to memory.

Billy

"Doug Cutting" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Dennis Kubes wrote:
2) Besides possible slight degradation in performance, is there a reason why the BlocksMap shouldn't or couldn't be stored on disk?

I think the assumption is that it would be considerably more than slight degradation. I've seen the namenode benchmarked at over 50,000 opens per second. If file data is on disk, and the namespace is considerably bigger than RAM, then a seek would be required per access. At 10MS/seek, that would give only 100 opens per second, or 500x slower. Flash storage today peaks at around 5k seeks/second.

For smaller clusters the namenode might not need to be able to perform 50k opens/second, but for larger clusters we do not want the namenode to become a bottleneck.

Doug