Sandeep Dhawan, Noida wrote:
Hello,

I am currently using hadoop-0.18.0. I am not able to append files in
DFS. I came across a fix which was done on version 0.19.0
(http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HADOOP-1700). But I cannot migrate
to 0.19.0 version because it runs on JDK 1.6 and I have
to stick to JDK 1.5 Therefore, I would like to know, if there is patch
available for this bug for 0.18.0.

It is not considered a "bug", but a new feature. Features go in the later versions, especially big changes to the filesystem.

You can compile Hadoop 0.19 yourself and set the property javac.version=1.5 in the file build.properties to produce a JAR file that can be loaded/used in Java5. There is nothing -yet- in the JAR file that is Java6+ only, though everyone recommends using a recent Java6 JVM for the better memory management. Hadoop 1.9+ on Java 5 is not supported, and it is not tested on java5 before the release. Which means that although you can recompile Hadoop for Java5, you are on your own at that point.

If you do need to append, upgrade.

-steve