Hey David,

Look at the web interface.  Here's mine:

http://dcache-head.unl.edu:8088/dfshealth.jsp

The "admin state" column says "in service" for normal nodes, and "decommissioning in progress" for the rest. When the decommissioning is done, the nodes will migrate to the list of "dead nodes" and shut themselves off. Only then can you safely turn off nodes.

Brian