Well, Map/Reduce and Hadoop by definition run maps in parallel.  I think
you're interested in the following two configuration settings:

mapred.tasktracker.map.tasks.maximum
mapred.tasktracker.reduce.tasks.maximum

These go in hadoop-site.xml and will set the number of map and reduce tasks
for each tasktracker (node).  Learn more here:

<
http://hadoop.apache.org/core/docs/current/cluster_setup.html#Configuring+the+Hadoop+Daemons

Map tasks + reduce tasks should be slightly above the number of cores you
have per node.  So if you have 8 cores per node, setting map tasks to 6 and
reduce tasks to 4 would probably be good.

Hope this helps.

Alex