Thanks for the response Abdul.

   So, the bzip2 file in question is _kindof_ a concatenation of
multiple bzip2 files.  It's not concatenated using cat a.bz2 b.bz2 >
yourFile.bz2, but it is created using pbzip2 ( pbzip2 v1.0.2 running on
CentOS 5.2 installed from the EPEL repository ).  My understanding is
that pbzip does roughly what you're saying and concatenates in some
manner.

   I created a simple test case that reproduces the behavior.  I created
a file using the following perl script:

for($i=0;$i<20000000;$i++) {
  print "Line $i\n";
}

    I then created two different bzip2 files.  One with bzip2 and one
with pbzip2.  The do have different sizes:

21994233 simple.bzip2.txt.bz2
21999416 simple.pbzip2.txt.bz2

    They do decompress to give the same output file
bunzip2 -c simple.bzip2.txt.bz2 | md5sum
581ad242e6cf22650072edd44d6a2d38  -

bunzip2 -c simple.pbzip2.txt.bz2 | md5sum
581ad242e6cf22650072edd44d6a2d38  -

   Running both through the simple line count MapReduce job I get the
same behavior where bzip2 correctly calculates 20,000,000 records, but
the pbzip2 generated file only processes the first block ( 82,829
records ).

   So, it sounds like what you're saying of having multiple end of
stream markers makes sense.  I will say it would be very beneficial to
be able to use pbzip2 generated files to compress hadoop input files.
Using pbzip2 can greatly reduce the amount of time required to bzip2
compress files and seems to generate a valid bzip2 file ( at least it
bunzip2 decompresses correctly ).

   Thank you

   Andy