Owen O'Malley wrote:

> On Dec 16, 2008, at 8:28 AM, David Coe wrote:
>
>> Is there a way to output the write() instead?
>

> Use SequenceFileOutputFormat. It writes binary files using the write.
> The reverse is SequenceFileInputFormat, which reads the sequence files
> using readFields.
>
> -- Owen
Thank you for your swift response.  I am getting this error when I try
your suggestion:

java.lang.NullPointerException
    at
org.apache.hadoop.io.SequenceFile$Writer.append(SequenceFile.java:987)
    at
org.apache.hadoop.mapred.SequenceFileOutputFormat$1.write(SequenceFileOutputFormat.java:70)
    at
org.apache.hadoop.mapred.MapTask$DirectMapOutputCollector.collect(MapTask.java:385)

*My configuration:*
conf.setMapperClass(MyMap.class);
conf.setReducerClass(IdentityReducer.class);

conf.setOutputFormat(SequenceFileOutputFormat.class);
conf.setOutputKeyClass(MyClass.class);

*My mapper:*
public static class MyMap extends MapReduceBase implements
            Mapper<LongWritable, Text, MyClass,NullWritable> {

        public void map(LongWritable key, Text value,
                OutputCollector<MyClass,NullWritable> output,
                Reporter reporter) throws IOException {
*
My Class:*
public class MyClass implements Writable,
        Comparable<MyClass> {

Which setting am I missing that results in the null pointer?

Thank  you!!