Hi Jim,

Try something like:

Counters counters = job.getCounters();
counters.findCounter("org.apache.hadoop.mapred.Task$Counter",
"REDUCE_INPUT_RECORDS").getCounter()

The pre-defined counters are unfortunately not public and are not in
one place in the source code, so you'll need to hunt to find them
(search the source for the counter name you see in the web UI). I
opened https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HADOOP-4043 a while back
to address the fact they are not public. Please consider voting for it
if you think it would be useful.

Cheers,
Tom