Hi
I've been testing some different serialization techniques, to use in a research project. I know motivation behind hadoop serialization mechanism (e.g. Writable) and the enhancement of this feature through record I/O is not only performance, but also control of the input/output. Still I've been running some simple tests and I've foud that plain RMi beats Hadoop RecordIO almost every time (14-16% faster). In my test I have a simple java class that has 14 int fields and 1 long field and I'm serializing aroung 35000 instances. Am I doing anything wrong? are there ways to improve performance in RecordIO? Have I got the use case wrong?

Regards
David Alves