Amandeep,

I spoke w/ one of our Oracle DBA's and he suggested changing the query
statement as follows:

MySql Stmt:
select * from <<TABLE >> limit <splitlength> offset <splitstart>"
Oracle Stmt:
select *
  from (select a.*,rownum rno
  from (your_query_here must contain order by) a
    where rownum <= splitstart + splitlength)
 where rno >= splitstart;

This can be put into a function, but would require a type as well.

If you edit org.apache.hadoop.mapred.lib.db.DBInputFormat, getSelectQuery, it
should work in Oracle

protected String getSelectQuery() {

        ... edit to include check for driver and create Oracle Stmt

      return query.toString();
    }

Brian

>> On Feb 5, 2009, at 11:37 AM, Stefan Podkowinski wrote:
>>

>>> The 0.19 DBInputFormat class implementation is IMHO only suitable for
>>> very simple queries working on only few datasets. Thats due to the
>>> fact that it tries to create splits from the query by
>>> 1) getting a count of all rows using the specified count query (huge
>>> performance impact on large tables)
>>> 2) creating splits by issuing an individual query for each split with
>>> a "limit" and "offset" parameter appended to the input sql query
>>>
>>> Effectively your input query "select * from orders" would become
>>> "select * from orders limit <splitlength> offset <splitstart>" and
>>> executed until count has been reached. I guess this is not working sql
>>> syntax for oracle.
>>>
>>> Stefan

this message in error, please contact the sender and delete the material
from any computer.