Are running Eclipse on Windows?  If so, be aware that you need to spawn
Eclipse from within Cygwin in order to access HDFS.  It seems that the
plugin uses "whoami" to get info about the active user.  This thread has
some more info:

http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/hadoop-core-user/200807.mbox/%3c487cd747.8050...@signal7.de%3e

Norbert