Yes, tmpwatch may cause problems deleting files that havent been accessed for a while.

On fedora/redhat chmod -x /etc/cron.daily/tmpwatch to disable it completely.

Mark Kerzner wrote:
Indeed, this was the right answer, and in the morning the file system was as
fresh as in the evening. Somebody already told me to move out of /tmp, but I
didn't believe him then. sorry.
Mark