On Thu, 2009-02-19 at 13:43 +0800, 柳松 wrote:
> Hadoop is designed for High performance computing equipment, but "claimed" to
> be fit for "daily pc"s.

The phrase "High Performance Computing equipment" makes me think of
infiniband, fibre all over the place etc.

Hadoop doesn't need that, it runs well on standard pc hardware - i.e. no
special hardware you couldn't find in a standard pc. That doesn't mean
you should run it on pcs that are being used for other things though.

I found that hadoop ran ok on fairly old hardware - a load of old
power-pc macs (running linux) churned through some jobs quickly, and
I've actually run it on people's office machines during the nights (not
on Windows). I did end up having to add an extra switch in for the part
of the network that was only 100 mbps to get the throughput though.

Of course ideally you would be running it on a rack of 1u servers, but
that's still normally standard pc hardware.