Yes, the namenode, jobtracker, datanode, etc are separate processes.
Typically in a large cluster you'd have one machine running a namenode, one
running a jobtracker, and many slave machines running a datanode and
tasktracker. The datanodes and tasktrackers don't need high amounts of
memory. The namenode needs more if you have a large filesystem (large
numbers of files), and the jobtracker needs more if you have many large jobs
(tens of thousands of tasks). However these should not be problems on
smaller clusters. The child memory settings are the ones to fix if your
tasks are failing.