There are a few things that caused this to happen to me earlier on.

Make sure to check that it actually makes progress. Sometimes, slowness is
result of negative progress: it gets to say 10% complete on reduce, and then
drop back down to 5%...In that case the output can output that line with the
slow throughput rate.

changing a few of the settings below did improve on things, but ultimately,
what fixed it for us was buying more hardware.

;-)