Or you can check out the index contrib. The difference of the two is that:
  - In Nutch's indexing map/reduce job, indexes are built in the
reduce phase. Afterwards, they are merged into smaller number of
shards if necessary. The last time I checked, the merge process does
not use map/reduce.
  - In contrib/index, small indexes are built in the map phase. They
are merged into the desired number of shards in the reduce phase. In
addition, they can be merged into existing shards.

Cheers,
Ning