Even though hbase runs on 'commodity' hardware, it's important to remember
that to achieve scale you need to do a bit better than 1 cpu 1 gb ram type
things.

I tend to think in per-core specs, that way you don't have to worry about 2
core vs 4 core vs 8 core - you buy whatever is most economical at the time.

I'd match 1 core with 2-4gb ram.  You'll want to dedicate 4 gb of ram to
hbase, it'll make life easier.

You should also be getting 64-bit systems and running a 64 bit distro on it
and a jvm that has -d64 available.

A word about master... For hbase, the master is (a) important and (b) very
lightweight.  Meaning the master doesn't use much ram.    For hadoop, things
are different, because the HDFS master is relatively light weight, but needs
lots of ram (every file takes up memory space).  On my cluster, the master
is the same node-type as the rest.

I've heard recommendations to buy better hardware for your master - if you
lose a disk, your whole cluster goes down.  I can't say i disagree with that
sentiment.

Good luck!