> You might want to look at a memcached solution some students and I worked
> out for exactly this problem.

Thanks, Jimmy!  This paper does exactly describe my problem.

I started working to implement the memcached solution you describe,
and I've run into a small problem.  I've described it on the
spymemcached forum:

http://groups.google.com/group/spymemcached/browse_thread/thread/7b4d82bca469ed20

Essentially, it seems the keys are being hashed inconsistently by
spymemcached across runs.  This, of course, will result in
inconsistent/invalid results.

Did you guys run into this?  Since I'm new to memcached, I'm hoping
that this is simply something I don't understand or am overlooking.