On Tue, Apr 14, 2009 at 2:35 AM, tim robertson <timrobertson...@gmail.com>wrote:

> I am considering (for better throughput as maps generate huge request
> volumes) pregenerating all my tiles (PNG) and storing them in S3 with
> cloudfront.  There will be billions of PNGs produced each at 1-3KB
> each.

Storing billions of PNGs each at 1-3kb each into S3 will be perfectly fine,
there is no need to generate them and then push them at once, if you are
storing them each in their own S3 object (which they must be, if you intend
to fetch them using cloudfront). Each S3 object is unique, and can be
written fully in parallel. If you are writing to the same S3 object twice,
... well, you're doing it wrong.

However, do the math on the costs for S3. We were doing something similar,
and found that we were spending a fortune on our put requests at $0.01 per
1000, and next to nothing on storage. I've since moved to a more complicated
model where I pack many small items in each object and store an index in
simpledb. You'll need to partition your SimpleDBs if you do this.