Hi Edward,
Yes, we're building this for handling hundreds of thousands images (at
least). We're thinking processing of individual images (or a set of images
together) will be done in Matlab itself. However, we can use Hadoop
framework to process the data in parallel fashion. One Matlab instance
handling few hundred images (as a mapper) and have hundreds of such
instances and then combine (reducer) the o/p of each instance.