Usman Waheed wrote:
Hi All,

Is it possible to make a node just a hadoop client so that it can put/get files into HDFS but not act as a namenode or datanode? I already have a master node and 3 datanodes but need to execute puts/gets into hadoop in parallel using more than just one machine other than the master.

Anything on the LAN can be a client of the filesystem, you just need appropriate hadoop configuration files to talk to the namenode and job tracker. I don't know how well the (custom) IPC works over long distances, and you have to keep the versions in sync for everything to work reliably.