Yeah, it works!
Bhupesh and Jason, thanks a lot!

Jasmine
----- Original Message ----- From: "jason hadoop" <jason.had...@gmail.com>
To: <core-user@hadoop.apache.org>
Sent: Wednesday, April 29, 2009 11:19 PM
Subject: Re: What's the local heap size of Hadoop? How to increase it?

you can also specify it on the command line of your hadoop job
hadoop jar jarfile [main class] -D mapred.child.java.opts=-Xmx800M other
arguments
Note: there is a space between the -D and mapred, and the -D has to come
after the main class specification.

This parameter may also be specified  via
conf.set("mapred.child.java.opts","-Xmx800m"); before submitting the job.