On Wed, May 6, 2009 at 12:26 PM, Foss User <foss...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Yes, as far as I remember but I am not absolutely sure. From your
> reply, I understand what I experienced (may be due to my fault) is not
> an expected behavior. So, if I face the same error again I would like
> to provide more information to this list. What are the logs that I
> should be uploading here for analysis if I see this again?

The output of the "namenode -format" command as well as the contents of your
configuration file would be the relevant bits.

And yes, it's not expected behavior. As you assumed, namenode -format is
supposed to reformat the file system. This includes removing all files.

If you are running namenode -format on an existing filesystem, you will see
the following output:

Re-format filesystem in /tmp/hadoop/dfs/name ? (Y or N)

If you don't see that, you're formatting a directory that doesn't yet have a
filesystem.

-Todd