Thanks Philip. Very helpful (and great blog post)! This seems to make basic dfs
command line operations work just fine.

However - I am hitting a new error during job submission (running
hadoop-0.19.0):

2009-05-14 00:15:34,430 ERROR exec.ExecDriver
(SessionState.java:printError(279)) - Job Submission failed with exception
'java.net.UnknownHostException(unknown host:
domU-12-31-39-00-51-94.compute-1.internal)'
java.net.UnknownHostException: unknown host:
domU-12-31-39-00-51-94.compute-1.internal
        at org.apache.hadoop.ipc.Client$Connection.<init>(Client.java:195)
        at org.apache.hadoop.ipc.Client.getConnection(Client.java:791)
        at $Proxy0.getProtocolVersion(Unknown Source)
        at org.apache.hadoop.ipc.RPC.getProxy(RPC.java:348)
        at
org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.DFSClient.createRPCNamenode(DFSClient.java:104)
        at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.DFSClient.<init>(DFSClient.java:176)
        at
org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.DistributedFileSystem.initialize(DistributedFileSystem.java:75)
        at
org.apache.hadoop.fs.FileSystem.createFileSystem(FileSystem.java:1367)
        at org.apache.hadoop.fs.FileSystem.access$200(FileSystem.java:56)
        at org.apache.hadoop.fs.FileSystem$Cache.get(FileSystem.java:1379)
        at org.apache.hadoop.fs.Path.getFileSystem(Path.java:175)
        at org.apache.hadoop.mapred.JobClient.getFs(JobClient.java:469)
        at
org.apache.hadoop.mapred.JobClient.configureCommandLineOptions(JobClient.java:603)
        at org.apache.hadoop.mapred.JobClient.submitJob(JobClient.java:788)

looking at the stack trace and the code - it seems that this is happening
because the jobclient asks for the mapred system directory from the jobtracker
- which replies back with a path name that's qualified against the
fs.default.name setting of the jobtracker. Unfortunately the standard EC2
scripts assign this to the internal hostname of the hadoop master.

Is there any downside to using public hostnames instead of the private ones in
the ec2 starter scripts?

Thanks for the help,

Joydeep