any machine put in the conf/masters file becomes a secondary namenode.

At some point there was confusion on the safety of more than one machine,
which I believe was settled, as many are safe.

The secondary namenode takes a snapshot at 5 minute (configurable)
intervals, rebuilds the fsimage and sends that back to the namenode.
There is some performance advantage of having it on the local machine, and
some safety advantage of having it on an alternate machine.
Could someone who remembers speak up on the single vrs multiple secondary
namenodes?

http://www.apress.com/book/view/9781430219422