Other parts of the non-hadoop system will continue to add records to mysql db
when I move  those records (and remove the very same records from mysql db
at the same time) to hadoop for processing.  That's why I am doing those
mysql commands.

What are you suggesting?  If I do it like you suggest, dump all records from
mysql db to a file in hdfs, how do I remove those very same records from the
mysql db at the same time?  Just rename it first and then dump them and then
read them from the hdfs file?

or should I do it my way?  which way is faster?
Thanks.